Thursday, November 2, 2017

Module 10 - Masks Making




Since I've been in the Holloween spirit lately, I found it appropriate to use skull masks as a basis of my inspiration. Image #2 and #3 inspired my nose cut-out as they both are triangular shaped. The color used in all masks is what made me choose to base my masks on solid white paper, although the hue of the example images is slightly off-white I still was able to attain a similar look. I realized that images #1 and #3 are shaped very circularly, however, I wanted my mask to appear a bit angular so I went for a 6-sided head which adds symmetry to all the other angular shapes on the mask.




As mentioned before, the creative process of my mask involved a series of skulls and my love for the Halloween season. The shapes used are very angular and flat (as opposed to the common rounded shape of skulls) which adds a great harmony when put together with the other cut-outs and shapes. The formation of the mask is 3-D and inspired by traditional origami which adds to a confident and somewhat bold emphasis to the entire piece. The mask certainly strikes the eye and takes a while to discover that it's a skull, but nonetheless, it speaks for itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment