Monday, November 27, 2017

Blog Topic: Video Reviews

1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
2. Do the videos relate to the creation of your Art Exhibition project? If yes, explain how. If no, explain why not.
3. What is your opinion of the films? Do they add depth to the understanding of the art concepts you practiced while creating your curation project?

1.         After watching both The Lowdown on Lowbrow: West Coast Pop Art and An Acquiring Mind: Philippe de Montebello and The Metropolitan, I have learned several interesting facts in relation to the wide array of different art styles and origins. The Lowdown on Lowbrow: West Coast Pop Art highlighted the introduction and boom of an “underground” visual art movement that arose in Los Angeles during the late 1970s called lowbrow. I also learned that lowbrow is a popular and widespread urbanized movement that includes many aspects of surrealism with common features of punk music, hot-rods, and other urban subculture. Furthermore, in An Acquiring Mind: Philippe de Montebello and The Metropolitan, I’ve learned a lot about museum director Philippe de Montebello’s fascinating journey in bringing innovation to the Met in New York City. Montebello’s long impressive journey at the Met brought forth thousands of pieces of art—most of which derive from rare collections all over the world.  
2.         These videos do an amazing job of heightening my knowledge and understanding of how to go about our exhibition project. The Lowdown on Lowbrow inspired my decision to base my project on urban contemporary art because how much of an impact it has on younger audiences and also because of the colorful and bold impressions it leaves on audiences too.

3.         These two films bring great value in helping me understand the key concepts and being confident enough to choose one theme and stick with it. Before watching the videos, I was in awe at the amount of options I had in choosing a theme, but after watching, I was inspired to stick with the theme I chose.

No comments:

Post a Comment