1. For each video and article list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
2. Which philosopher's theory on aesthetics do you feel is most important? Be sure to mention the philosopher's name, era (time in history), and contribution to the aesthetic theory in your response.
3. What do you think about Changeux and Ramachandran scientific view of aesthetics and art? What was the most interesting fact you discovered from each speakers lecture?
4. How do the videos and article relate to the readings in the text?
5. What is your opinion of the films and article? How do they add depth to understanding of the topics in your reading in the text?
Some of the key concepts I’ve learned while watching Aesthetics: Philosophy of the Arts was the complete understanding of what the term “Aesthetic” actually means. According to the video, aesthetics is the philosophic study of beauty and art. Furthermore, I have also learned that art does not have any basic requirements or standardized definitions from the article. It is literary the individuals own subjective expression of what he/she wishes to convey – no rules, no right or wrong, just pure expression. I have also learned about the close relationship between philosophic beliefs and art in conjunction with the many viewpoints shared by different philosophers.
One viewpoint that I really appreciated was held by Italian philosopher and architect Leon Battista Alberti. Alberti believed that beauty is harmoniously perfected and that it originates from beyond the subjectivity of taste. I totally agree with Alberti’s viewpoint because true beauty is perfectly conveyed through natural, unforced expression.
After watching CARTA: Evolutionary Origins of Art and Aesthetics: Neurobiology, Neurology and Art, and Aesthetics, Changeux insist that there is some genetic influence that can be found in relation to art. While speaking about the complexities of the human brain, he was able to explain how our emotions, thoughts, feelings and logical come together to formulate art. I found it interesting how Changeux visually demonstrates how our brain sensors react when processing imagery. On the other hand, Ramachandran goes on to explain where the connection appears between or brains and art. What stood out to me the most during his lecture was the cognitive differences that our brain experiences between symmetry and aesthetics.
After reading and comprehending both videos and the CNN article, I conclude that all three directly correlates with one another. They all touch on complex aspects of aesthetics and introduces the influences, beliefs, and thoughts that many philosophers have on this matter. Our text gives us a broad understanding of these artistic terms and illustrations, whereas the videos and article give us a well-rounded exemplification with scientific facts for support.
In concluding what I took away from the article and both videos, I can infer that my understanding of aesthetics was heightened in comparison from only reading the text. I helped by recognize the neurological reason behind why we like art, how it affects our brain, and philosophical connections it has.
No comments:
Post a Comment